Thursday, July 12, 2012

God Of Thunder MD.

Four years ago I experienced optic neuritis in my right eye.  I had lost half of my vision and was extremely frightened.  My eye doctor sent me to a neurologist (the same one I have now).

I sat in the exam room of the neurologist and my knees were literally shaking.  I was terrified.  What was happening to me?  What was he going to say to me?  I was all alone in that tiny room.  The walls were covered with plagues guaranteeing me that my doctor was certified and very smart and well equipped to handle my neurological issues.

Every diploma read T. Erik Borresen, T. Erik Borresen, T. Erik Borresen.  Hmm...wonder what the "T" stands for?  Must be Thomas.  I read every framed piece of paper starting in front of me and working my way around the room.

I was on the verge of tears.  What was happening to me?!  Please God make it alright.  I am REALLY scared.  Then I turned to my left and read the last diploma...

Thor Erik Borresen.

I laughed.  I threw my head back and laughed a great big belly laugh.  My doctor's name is Thor.  THOR!  Seriously?  That is SO AWESOME!  Thank you God for that; I needed to laugh.  The tension in that little room was too much.

Just after my discovery my new doctor entered the room.  We talked for a bit and he poked my hands and feet with a pin and asked me to balance on one foot.  He asked many questions and listened and answered all of mine.  He even laughed when I joked with him.

At that point in my life my MRI came out normal with no sign of MS.  Four years later, this past April (2012) I was not as scared to go see him because I had met him, I knew what to expect and I had a pretty good idea that the MRI was going to show us what was happening to me.

I did not change the names in this post to protect anyone because my neurologist ROCKS!  Even if his name wasn't Thor (but it is!  Isn't that COOL?!) he is the best doc for me.  I highly recommend him.

No comments:

Post a Comment