Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Wait...why am I writing...SQUIRREL!

Memory lapse is a little joy of MS.  Short term (and I mean very short term) memory takes a hit with the lesions in my brain.  Matt asked me to get him a snack (he hurt his knee mountain biking the other day and has to walk on crutches).  10 minutes later I was sitting on the couch thinking, "Did Matt ask me to get something for him?  Hmmmmm...no I don't think so."  Then 30 minutes later he kindly asked me again if I could get him that snack.  "OH!  That's what you asked me!"  Good Grief!

I now have some sympathy for my ADD students.  You know the ones; they are telling you about their visit to the zoo and suddenly they say "I think I need a manicure."  and then go on about the last time they did their nails and the polish was supposed to be purple with glitter gloss and then it chipped when they were at their brothers soccer game...do you think Germany is going to win their next match?  My uncle went to Germany....and on and on.

Sometimes it is as if I blinked a moment too long.  I went to Target the other day and I put my wallet in the shopping bag when I was leaving the register.  I NEVER do that.  I didn't even remember doing it.  I got to the gas station and had a panic attack because my wallet was not in my purse.  I had Reilly look through the bags and there it was.  I could not recall even touching the shopping bag.  I had Fynn carry it out to the car.  Total blank spot in my brain.

I aso find my attention drifting as well.  I will be thinking trough how to accomplish a task - like organizing how and when to get each part of dinner going, and I suddenly find myself thinking about a movie scene that I really like.  Then I look around me and realize that I was making dinner.

This could be a good thing if I can use it correctly...I could tell that annoying person in my life just how extremely annoying they are and then "forget".  I could rob a bank and then "forget" but then I might also forget where I put the money so that might not work so well.  And I don't think a plea of Forgetfulness is a valid defense.  I could also forget what I was doing in the middle of the robbery and walk out without the money.

So the next time you ask me to do something and I act like I have NO IDEA what you are talking about you can remind me gently that you asked me.  Make sure I write it in the calendar on my phone or on the way cool paper calendar Emily made for me.  I do remember to look at that - because that is a habit that I have established.

When school restarts I will look with more understanding upon my weird middle schooler.  Ok, that may be going a little too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment